Happy Thursday, Aledans! I’ve been a busy little bee lately. I kind of stalled out on StO, but I’ve been CPing instead. First for Diana Beebe (of PonyFest fame), then for Juliana (of being my best friend fame), and next week for Lauren (of just got an awesome agent fame). I love CPing, because not only do I get to read awesome books before anyone else, but I also get to put the analytical side of my brain to work. After all the drafting I’ve been doing on StO, my creative side needed a break.
It was definitely biting at the bit last night to be let back out (I even had a dream I was swimming with Erie), but I don’t think I’m going to have time until after vacation. Especially since vacation is a NO writing zone, and I have too much to finish before then. But since this year is a staycation, and we live near the beach, I think I’ll have plenty of inspiration to get back to my mermaid novel when I return ;)
That content vacation smile – I can’t wait to have it again!
So, the long and short of it is: I might disappear from the blog for the rest of the month again, but I promise June will be back to normal! I was also not-quite-tagged by Shen Hart with a blog award (she was going to tag me, but the rules said she could only tag someone with less than 500 followers), so I decided to answer her questions anyways. Enjoy!
1. If it took no time or effort, which subject would you become an expert in? Genetics, hands down. For one, it’s pretty awesome, and two, I’ve already got a good head start since I took it in college ;)
2. What’s the worst book you’ve ever read? EYES OF THE DRAGON by Stephen King. I couldn’t get past the first chapter, although I tried because it ties into the DARK TOWER series, which is one of my favorites.
3. What is the most important thing to you? Well, that’s kind of a broad question. Friends and family and pets. And the environment. Cause if we screw that up there’ll be no more friends and family and pets.
4. What’s your idea of true bliss? Being happy with where I am in life.
5. How do you celebrate your successes? Wine! And lots of fun music.
6. What’s that one word you can never quite remember the spelling of? Sentence. Although I totally just got it right when I wrote it :P
7. What’s the one word you’d like everyone to describe you as? Content.
8. Where is your happiest memory located? Either Mackinac Island (wedding) or Key West (sailing) – both with Hubs <3
9. If money, practicality etc were no object, what’s your ideal mode of transport? Fins ;) But really, teleportation might be nice. Or my very own Nightcrawler.
10. Tell us about your journey to where you are now. If you’ve been around the blog long enough, you know I started writing in MLP RPGs (yes, really). Then I started writing MLP fanfics for my characters in those games (I still do, on occasion). Then I started writing fanfics for other worlds, like X-men, Dark Tower, and Invader ZIM (because GIR!). Then I was bored in a work meeting one day many many years ago *coughtwelvecough* and that was the exact moment I started storylining Fie Eoin – now known as THE NAMELESS WARRIOR.
Yes, I worked on that book for twelve years. At first I was just writing for fun, and for my friends to read a little story about twin girls, but at some point several years ago I decided I wanted to at least try to get it published. It was a complete mess and took several re-writes (including one in 2012 after an editor told me to throw it out and start over) before it was ready to query. And now it’s out in agent-land, looking for someone to love it.
A lot of those twelve years was spent on other projects, too. Lane’s Girl/The Rebecca Stories, Phooka Tales, After Ancient, Apollo and Daphne (which will someday be edited), and Book of Souls (which will someday be finished). There are also bits and pieces of other books scribbled down on stickies and in writing folders: Mio’s story, Parallel You, Reason Island, and something about a kid living underground in the Middle East that has no name or plot. Right now I’m working on my mermaid novel, SPEAK THE OCEAN.
11. What are your top three activities to participate in? I’d like to say Yoga, but it’s been months since I’ve actually gone to yoga. My favorite “activities” now involve reading on the beach with a glass of wine (which is technically three things in one!), so that could be why I gained ten pounds last year ;)
And that’s it for the questions! If you’d like to play along, feel free to link to your own answers in the comments section :) Have a good weekend, Aledans!