Happy Thursday, Aledan Merfolk! It’s been a while since I last updated you on my life, because life went a little nutso for a while. The beginning of the month had a trip to the grandfolks and a staycation, and last week my computer was down all week with the Blue Screen of Death. It was sad. And annoying. Mostly annoying.
I have been writing steadily, but I’ve also read a crap-ton in the past month. Starting with SHATTERED by Kevin Hearne, which I loved! It’s definitely my favorite book of the Iron Druid Chronicles so far. Then OF POSEIDON by Anna Banks, which was ok, but didn’t leave me wanting to read the rest of the series. Then THE VAST AND BRUTAL SEA by Zoraida Cordova *finally* released, and I devoured it. Such a good end to a great mermaid series. Then I finished JUST BREATHE by Tamara Mataya, which was interesting because the MC has synthasia (she could feel sounds). I topped it all with TAMING FATE by Amalia Dillin, which was a nice little novella that tied into her FATE OF THE GODS series. I’m now reading THE RED QUEEN by Phillipa Gregory as a beach book, and HALE MAREE by Misty Provencher as my pool book (yes, I have separate beach and pool reads).
All that creativity in such a short time left me dying to stretch my analytical brain muscles, so last week I put out a call on Twitter for new WiPs to CP. I lined up three, and then my computer broke >.< But I did finish the first one and get it back to the author, and I’m waiting on a version of the second that I can open (for some reason my computer didn’t recognize the file as a word doc, so the author is re-sending). I’m still waiting on the third author to send theirs, but I don’t expect to get it until August. All the CPing worked, though – my analytical brain stopped being so pushy and let the creative side back out.
See? I made that with my creative side :) It was a pain in the ass.
This is my first #WriteMotivation update for the month, so let’s see what’s going on:
- Actually finish the first draft of StO this month. For reals. With the broken computer this isn’t going to be quite finished by the end of the month, but I’m hoping to have it done by the time WriteOnCon comes around.
- Start switching Erie’s POV in the first half of StO. This isn’t going to happen until August.
- Catch up on Science Tuesdays because I still haven’t done that… Yep, still haven’t done that…
- Morning Swims! I’ve been pretty good with this! Although when I tried to go to the pool this week it rained :( I took the dogs for an extra-long walk that night instead.
- Don’t forget to cheer on the other bloggers. With a broken computer I haven’t been very good at this, but now that the computer’s back, I’m hopping back on the cheer wagon!
Not too bad, I think, although I was really hoping I’d be further along with StO by now. But hey, life happens. It’s not like I’m under any deadline that isn’t self-imposed.
Have a good weekend, Aledans, and I’ll see you on Sunday for an awesome Custom Pony!